Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Week 8-Halloween Party and first podcast recorded

Hi, lovelies!

This past week I was busy! I turned in my first essay on the day of Halloween. I spent the earlier part of the week preparing for Halloween, going shopping with my friends Sunita, Cristina, and Matthew to find some stuff for my Halloween costume. I decided to go as Black Widow for Halloween, from Marvel's Avengers series. The costume was easy enough to make, I found black leather pants,  and had a black long sleeve shirt. I cut some holes into black leather gloves to make fingerless gloves. While shopping with my friends I also found some 6-inch tall black boots to wear. While they are not canon to Black Widow's outfit, I thought I would enjoy the extra height.
While waiting for the party to begin at 8 pm on Halloween eve, I got ready and did my makeup while watching Endgame, the last of the Avengers movies, in order to get into character. Not that I really needed to, this was to be a night of fun and games. I met my friend Cristina at the station. She was dressed as Lara Croft, from the famous video game Tomb Raider. She brought her friend Matthew with her, who was dressed as Kim Jong-Ill, the leader of North Korea. Matthew's outfit was perfect for his character, and he got many stares on the trains. But amazingly, he also got many people asking to take photos with him. He kept laughing at how many Instagram followers he was getting because he posted a picture of his costume on Instagram. Someone had even photoshopped his face in a picture with President Trump.
We spent a few hours in the pub, and then a few of us moved to a more exclusive club called Aquum which was oddly enough deserted on Halloween night. My feet were killing me by the end, and I hated how slow I was walking due to wearing such tall heels. I headed home around midnight and was asleep in bed by 12:30 A.M. As I woke the next morning to sore calves and a couple blisters, I was grateful I got to spend time with my friends at the Halloween party.
I walked to campus, slightly hungover, and very exhausted. Friday was the day that my friend Jacqui and I were going to record our first episode of Human Angle, and though I struggled to focus on the upcoming task, I was excited to see what we would make of it. As I met Jacqui outside the radio studio, we went over our script, discussing the life of Hedy Lamarr.
I can't go into too much detail, as I will spoil the podcast for you, but Hedy Lamarr is a famous 1940's actress who also happened to invent the technology for creating wifi and GPS. Jacqui and I decided to split up our script, me taking the first half of her story and Jacqui taking the latter half. After setting things up in the studio, Jacqui hit the record button and we began. Recording the episode was a lot of fun, as Jacqui and I have a natural banter, which helps us to make a smoother narrative of Hedy Lamarr's life. We discussed bigger key points that we thought were important to understand, hoping to make her appear more as a person and less as a celebrity. By the time we were done recording, our 20 minutes planned episode was 40 minutes long and needed a lot of editing. We sent the audio file to Jacqui's brother in Australia to edit, as he is a professional sound mixer. I decided however that for the next episode this coming week, I'd try my hand at mixing and see how it went. Stay tuned! 
As classes began after an uneventful weekend, my core practical class geared up for our presentations next week. We have to present in our groups four different types of media that for the past month we've been playing around with: TV studio, location TV, location radio, and radio studio. Honestly, and this is no surprise, but the radio studio was my favorite out of the four. And my group put me in charge of snipping out the radio studio parts we want to highlight. So a busy week ahead as I have another essay to write, a radio podcast to record and edit, and a radio studio snippet to create. Oh! And I'm also on air next week for our I, Science radio show. As next week is 11/11, and marking the anniversary of the end of World War I, we're doing a segment about science and war. Stay tuned as I will be talking about the Haber Process and Alan Turing. I promise to include the link for it in next week's blog. 
Until then, hopefully, I won't die of exhaustion, but I'm certainly not dying of boredom right now. 
Plus I need to find a job as well. 
Cheers, 
Kenna 

No comments:

Post a Comment