Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Week 9-The Podcast is live....and an amazing book to read

Hi Everyone!

So this past week has been a busy one for me, but a very rewarding week. I spent six hours one day trawling through the archives of the I, Science magazine website to make sure all our pictures were not infringing on copyright values. For those of you who don't know, I, Science is Imperial College Science Communication's award-winning magazine. As the web editor, I'm in charge of making sure the website looks pretty and is well maintained, which means that I have to make sure our 3,000 plus photos don't break any legal rules. Thankfully we're all good.
I spent the rest of last week writing my first essay for Dr. Stephen Webster's class: Science in its Social contexts. My essay focuses on whether we can trust our own senses in the case of fear priming, using different philosophies of thought for evidence. I felt rambly with the essay, and of course, will be editing it this week before I hand it in, but often philosophy does get rather wordy, so I'm not too worried.
Jacqui and I also recorded our second episode of Human Angle. I can't give too much away but it's all about the scandal around the discovery of the structure of DNA. We're focusing on two of the main scientists involved, Dr. James Watson and Rosalind Franklin. For those of you who don't know who Rosalind Franklin is, don't be worried. She was never credited with this discovery.
We'll be discussing why that is in the episode. Our last episode on Hedy Lamarr went live this past weekend and is now available on Spotify, iTunes, Alexa+Tune in, and Stitcher. If you haven't listened to it yet I highly recommend. There isn't another podcast like this out there, and Jacqui and I really try to make it a worthwhile experience of discussion and education for our listeners.
I can't give too much away about what I'm recording this week, but this episode is nothing like we've done with the previous two. We'll be discussing John Steinbeck and his lost book on marine biology, Log from the Sea of Cortez. It's an amazing read and I highly recommend it to everyone, as it discusses the friendship Steinbeck had with a marine biologist named Ed Ricketts. Steinbeck, being one of the classic American novelists, loses no style in this incredible read as he discusses how science looks to a layperson, as well as fascinating scenes of marine life in the tidepools around the Gulf of California.
I'm honestly in love with this book and I can't put it down. Some of his quotes are absolutely stunning, and I can't wait to share them in our upcoming episode. So keep your ears open!
Tonight I will be attending the Imperial Late's show called Infectious, which is all about diseases. Imperial College does a once a month late-night show about certain topics in science. I didn't get to go to the last one due to a poorly timed bout of food poisoning (is food poisoning ever appropriately timed?). I'm excited to see what this event has to offer. The I, Science team will hopefully be interviewing people at the event as well so keep looking at our website for updates.
That's all folks!
Until next week,
Kenna

No comments:

Post a Comment