Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Limbo part 1: Not quite to London

So I'm now enjoying the transition state of the summer, where I stay at home and have really no plans until I leave on September 15, for London. I gave myself that much time because I didn't know how long my visa would take. Turns out, I'm pretty much done. I'll be doing my fingerprinting and other biometrics next week and then shipping the entire package off, plus my passport, for review and approval.
So I'm now stuck with one of the things I dislike the most, unexpected free time. If you haven't guessed already I'm a planner. I like to have goals in mind of what I need or want to get done. School was actually somewhat enjoyable to me for having a structure of activities. So with unexpected free time, I start trying desperately to find things to do. I tend to work out a lot more, do a lot more walking or writing. I also binge-watch Netflix. What would you do in this situation?

Being back home with my parents has presented some interesting challenges, as I'm used to living in my own apartment and keeping my own hours. Not that staying with mum and dad is a bad thing mind you, but I do have to tell them where I'm going if they don't know where I am. I find that recently I've been spending most days at home with my dog. At least on the bright side, I can now do all the reading I've been wanting to get done!
To take a break from the indoors, I'll go out into my backyard and do some archery. According to worldarchery.org, archery dates back to approximately 20,000 B.C. The earliest documented use of archery was done by the Ancient Egyptians, who of course used bows and arrows for success in battle. Interestingly enough the first archery competition was in 1583 in England and had over 50,000 participants!
For me, I mainly stick to archery in my backyard. I haven't done any hunting with my bow, and I'm not sure I want to.
For those of you who don't know, there are two bows in archery, a recurve (or traditional) bow and a compound bow, which is what I have. Compound bows are a more modern version of a recurve bow, with a sight, counterweight, and a more accurate release mechanism. I've only worked with my compound bow for about two years now, and I'm currently still shooting at the 40 yards mark. My target is a hay bale pushed up against the side of our barn...and yes, there are about four or five holes in my barn due to my practicing.

What I'm hoping to try and get someday is an English longbow. Historically they are made out of yew wood and have a range of 180 m (or 540 feet). According to historic.uk.com, the English Longbow has won many of the historic battles within Britain during the Middle Ages. Before I get a Longbow, I, of course, need to build up my arm strength first, as the draw weight on one of those suckers is between 81 and 130 lbs! That's definitely more than I weigh!
So maybe I'll focus my time on getting really buff arms first. Haha!


No comments:

Post a Comment